27 March 2008

Windows vs. Mac: a picture that says it all

I've just stumbled upon this picture, which made me laugh inside and think: "This is so true!"

The picture actually says it all, and I know what I'm talking about. I've been a Windows user for many years until I recently decided to switch to a Mac. And due to the Apple philosophy of "things just work", the switching process was pretty peaceful.

But getting back to the picture, it really represents my state of mind towards the two operating systems. On Mac OS X, things are made simple and for most of them to work you just have to find the on/off button, which most of the times it is as easy to find as that big yellow button on the picture. It's really that simple and intuitive. Whereas in Windows, things are by nature complicated and most of them don't even work properly. And if you decide to pop up the hood and fiddle around with the settings, you may end up with a busted machine.

And while the picture may seem to favor the Mac way, it actually also reveals the dark side of Apple. Ok, things are simple, intuitive and they work. But what if you would like to change something? For example, what if instead of having the big yellow button on the engine of the car on the picture, you would like to see that button on the dashboard of the car? That's where things can go wrong.

Apple designs things to work in a specific way and they do it very well. But they do it by controlling what the user has access to. By limiting the user experience to the known-to-work-without-any-problems features, they avoid any "bad press" about their products.

Don't get me wrong, as I said above I love the Apple philosophy since it is the way to go with unexperienced users. But sometimes, when my nostalgic college Linux-geek part of the brain kicks in, I wish I could change some of the settings of Mac OS X. And to do so, you have to be an experienced user because if you take a wrong turn somewhere, you may end up like the guy in the picture. But not the one with the smiley face...I'm talking about the frustrated one next to the broken car.

6 comments:

António Lopes said...

Hello JIM,
thanks for your very insightful and argumentative comment.

Anonymous said...

No you mean windows works better for stupid goons. You wish windows was better. I have been working with computers for 25 years.....always on a windows platform machine. I work in the design/engineering field as well as the music industry. Over the last five years I have moved mainly into the music industry and pretty much working with media, film, etc. I can't tell you how much money I spent and how much time I wasted and how many blood vessels I burst trying to record a decent sounding demo tape of myself as well as others ass I was moving my recording studio from the analog to the digital domain. After buying pretty much all of the audio/interfaces there were, after using every single recording application ever put out I will say over the span of five solid years I probably managed to release four decent sounding tracks that were without crashes, without needing to upgrade this or plug in that.

My girlfriend recently brought her computer home from work....a MacBook. I started checking it out just to amuse my self with some of the sure to be second rate programs this cut rate computer company had to offer. I started playing around with a program called Garageband. I had NEVER touched a Mac in all of my twenty plus years of working with, on and around computers so needless to say....never used garage band either. In less then an hour....I was slicing loops, mixing multiple tracks and making an entertaining little demo song. Last year I went out and bought myself a MacBook Pro and also bought Logic Studio 8. That night I got home and set my computer up in all of fifteen minutes. I loaded up Logic......maybe another hour. I started wading through the tutorials as well as jumping back into garageband, that was around 9:00 p.m. At six o'clock in the morning I had TWELVE demo songs recorded and burned onto CD, I had some excellent mixes with baking tracks but mostly it was just ME. I have never had so much fun and been so productive all at the same time on any computer in any environment.....EVER.

Let me tell you something ya douche bag. You think Windows is better because Bill told you it's better. He couldn't even make the software that he STOLE better! Macs are for people who like to have fun, be productive creative and relaxed. Windows is for people who don't know any better or spend all their time doing spreadsheets.....WOOOOOOHOOOO. I still have a couple PC's around the house one I just kick a lot and laugh at, the other one....I actually use from time to time and I have to say, I can't wait until that computer finally drops dead. I cannot stand working on a PC......actually pretty much any windows anyrthing. I will never...NEVER......EVER EVER EVER.....purchase another PC or if I can at all help it in any way I will never use windows again. MICROSOFT BLOWS! PERIOD!! Go listen to your ZUNE!

Anonymous said...

Mac this!Mac that!
why windows is messed up because viruses are sent by mac hackers as envy but WINDOWS 7 Will overcome that!

Davy said...

This is the most childish shit I've ever seen. Live and let live, y'all.

Anonymous said...

Do you guys really have nothing better to do than insult each other because you like different operating systems? Who cares? The world is not going to end because someone feels differently about Windows or Mac than you do.

The immaturity of a good portion of people who post on internet discussions never ceases to amaze me. Just because you're not talking to each other face to face does not mean that you shouldn't be courteous, especially when it comes to something as trivial as an operating system. GET A LIFE!

Anonymous said...

I have to note, if your good with computers, use linux or windows. I use windows xp. IT has never given me trouble, and i mainly use it for java script. Also, my computer rarely gets viruses. People say mac OSX/ windows 7 is the best, I wanna stick with XP you can have whatever you want, but ill laugh at you, while you have to convert/switch over files, or lose EVERYTHING