17 December 2007

My MacBook Pro's new best friend: Nokia BH-210

I keep receiving calls while I'm driving and since I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount of the fine I'll get if the Police catches me using the mobile phone, I decided to buy a Bluetooth headset from Nokia for my N80.

Nokia BH-210 is a small bluetooth headset and it works perfectly with my phone. The pairing process is very simple and as soon as I turn the headset on, if the mobile phone is in range, it will automatically connect to the phone and will allow me to make the calls through it. I have it for a few days now, and I still didn't need to charge it again, so I can say that the battery life is quite acceptable.

Since the MacBook Pro has Bluetooth integrated, I decided to test if the integration with this bluetooth headset was going to be simple.

To my surprise (or maybe not as I'm starting to get used to the simplicity of the Mac) the pairing process was very simple and the integration with Mac OS X sound settings had zero-configuration.

So, it was time to make a really interesting test: use the bluetooth headset to make a call on Skype. All I had to do was open the audio settings on Skype and change the output and input to be coming via the Nokia BH-210...


...et voilá! VoIP over MacBookPro through a bluetooth headset from Nokia made easy. It can't get any simpler than this.

And a last note on this subject (just for you to be amazed): the MacBook Pro even behaves better than the Nokia phone when it comes to battery saving. Once you pair and connect the bluetooth headset with the mobile phone, both devices will stay on this "on" state, which uses a lot of battery. The MacBook Pro manages the connections to the bluetooth headset and only connects to it when necessary, for example, when starting a call on Skype. Once the call is finished, the headset enters the standby state, which allows saving a lot of battery juice.

Inteligent, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi can tell me how it works with xp