5 November 2007

Turning it on...

Unpacking the MacBook Pro was a nice experience, but actually turning it on was a complete surprise. Let me give you a little background on this: I've never had a mac before nor I've experience with any Apple related software. My only experience with Apple is iPods.

So, in fact, I didn't know what to expect once I'd turn it on. Well, I have to say that Steve Job's favourite quote, "It just works", applies like a charm to this computer.

Enough talking, let's turn it on.

After turning it on we get a white background with the Apple logo and a small icon indicating that some booting is being done and about 20 seconds later you get a bunch of flying "welcome" messages in several different languages.


The nice sound and visual effects quickly take you to the startup assistant to help you set up the computer in your first use.


This setup is quite simple and fast and after setting up some important definitions (such as locale settings and user accounts) we're ready to go.



So, in less than 5 minutes I get a fully functional MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Tiger.

For the last 4 days I've been fiddling around with the operating system to try and get used to the changes from my Windows past and I have to say that I still haven't felt the need to go back to a Microsoft-based system :-)

Anyway, as a newbie I've been learning things a little bit by mistake as usual in this situations and hopefully my experience, which I will report here through the next few days, will help others in the same situation.

Keep tuned :-)

No comments: