16 May 2008

Installation of Office 2008 for Mac SP1: part II

It seems that the fan issue (running at 6000 rpm after the installation of SP1) that I reported two days ago, was just a coincidence. Yesterday I installed Office 2008 SP1 on my Mac and the CPU fans have run under 4000 rpm since then. So, what caused that sudden change in the fans' behaviour on this first install run? Well, that is yet to be determined.


But, anyway, the installation of SP1 did not went smoothly. After installation, I was stuck (as so many other Mac users) with the recurring appearance of the Office Setup Assistant when launching any of the applications in the Office suite. Even if you go through the wizard step-by-step and click Finish at the end, the application wouldn't start.

My colleague Carlos Serrão's solution (in Portuguese), which I detail below, did not work for me:
  1. Go to /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/
  2. Remove folder Office 2008
  3. Empty Trash
  4. Then, next time Setup Assistant appears, just keep clicking next and finish up to the end, and it shouldn't appear again
So, I had to look for another one. Luckily, there's always someone in the web that is happy to post a solution for problems like these. Just remove the following files:
  • /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist
  • /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist
After you complete these steps, open any Office application, and then use the product key that is included with your original installation disk to complete the installation. This one worked for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks this worked perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Worked for me too! Thanks! :-)